If you happened to build a pergola or just installed a ready-made kit without roofing, then you are a now asking yourself how to Install a polycarbonate roof on a pergola? Can I do it myself? I have done some research on this topic, and The answer is Yes! You can here are some steps to help you get started.
How to Installed Clear Polycarbonate Sheets On a Pergola?
- Assemble your pergola kit or construct a suitable framework.
- If you are going to add noise stop tape, you should lay them down first as the sheets expand and contract in the sunlight thus create a lot of noise when they rub against the pilers.
- You only need to put the noise tape on the pilers, not the rafters.
- Now it’s time to lay down the polycarbonate sheets if you need to trim them you should use a saw or cut snips.
- Make sure the sheets are the right way up (facing the sun) you should notice some writing or a tape
- When laying down the first sheet make sure it squared to the house approx 90 degrees to your home.
- Now that it’s down you should start to fasten the sheets down start from one corner and work your way along.
- Screw only into the pilers, not the rafters.
- You need to screw in every second corrugation on top and the bottom pilers and for the middle pilers every third or forth corrugation.
- Make sure you leave the end free so you can overlap the next sheet and screw through both.
If You are looking for a great Video watch here
Benefits of A Clear Polycarbonate Roof For Your Pergola
Polycarbonate sheets are stable and resists to high temperature meaning that they block off harmful UV rays. Yet still keeping you cool and providing additional natural lighting.
They are non-toxic, stain resistant and lightweight compared to glass which is on the heavy side. Installing polycarbonate sheets are straight forward and will last you a long time.
How do You Cut polycarbonate roof Sheet?
To cut the polycarbonate sheets you can use a saw, trim snips or sharp scissors. You should measure and use a marker to carefully outline where you are planning to cut off.
How long do polycarbonate roofing last?
With care your Polycarbonate roof should last about 10-20 years.
How to Clean Your Polycarbonate roofing?
When it’s time to clean your polycarbonate sheets use a soft cloth and soapy water (no solvent or cleaners) water or a hose. Don’t use a brush as it will scratch and damage the sheets.